Sunday 15 January 2012

Pauline's Marathon Training - Week 3

So week three and just under 56 miles completed.  

There was a fantastic turn out at the club on Tuesday night with probably about 30 runners keen to blow away the cobwebs.  A drill type warm up on the Trading Estate was followed by some figure of 8 loops measuring 1.2m around the town.  The plan was to do 6 but I think some (me included!) cut it a bit short.  

Friday was my speed session, which was sandwiched between domestic chores and work.  Back in the summer I used to dread these sessions but have grown to tolerate them now because, for me, they are  making the difference with my race times.  I was pleased to run the fastest 800m I've ever run in 3:03 but it wasn't easy!

Then today I had a glorious 20 miles in the frozen countryside.  I tried to meet others from the club who were doing various runs:  Rob MJ running to Alnwick and Claire, H and Kenny heading out around Heburn Woods, but the logistics were proving a bit difficult so I went alone.  

I don't mind these long runs on my own occasionally because its a chance to chill but I do like it when I have company.  I did a nice route around Horton, Chillingham, Chatton etc and it was cold!  My water froze in my hydration pack and I couldn't get a drink till 18.5 miles!   But a cracking 20 with an average pace of 8:34 and the last 6 miles all started with a 7!

I have a cutback week next week so not such a high mileage but 2 races slotted in for good measure:  a 5k and a half marathon. 

I must get the debit card out and enter some races.

No comments:

Post a Comment